1. Did you know that the Valles Marineris is one of the largest canyons in the Solar System?
2. Valles Marineris is a system of canyons which are located on Mars. The canyons were discovered in the year 1971-72 by the Mars orbiter Mariner 9 and were subsequently named after the orbiter.
3. The canyons are more than 4000 km long, 200 km wide and at least 23,000 feet deep!
4. The canyons are located in the Tharsis region and many scientists believe that the formation of the region may have helped formed the canyons too.
5. The Tharsis region is home to several volcanoes, including Olympus Mons, the largest volcano in the Solar System.
6. As molten rock pushed upwards to form the volcanoes, the force strained the crust of Mars and ultimately cracked it, thereby causing giants rifts and fractures which over time became an enormous system of canyons!
PICTURE CREDIT: NASA/VIKING PROJECT
If you enjoyed this trivia post, go ahead and check out some of our other posts by clicking on the button below!