The last element we posted about was Plutonium. This time, we are going to focus on Titanium one of the most abundant metals in the earth, and not as dangerous as Plutonium.
1. Titanium is a silvery lustrous metal which while low in density is extremely strong.
2. Despite being 45% lighter than some types of steel, it is just as strong!
3. It is the ninth most abundant element in the earth’s crust and can be found in almost all living bodies, rocks, water bodies, soil etc!
4. Titanium in the form of its oxides and alloys is used to create a number of things. Most of the titanium that is found is refined into titanium oxide which is an intensely white, opaque pigment which does not fade.
5. Titanium oxide is used in paint, plastics, toothpaste, gemstones etc to give them a bright, white colour.
6. Titanium alloys on the other hand, are extremely strong, corrosion-resistant and can withstand moderately high temperatures. Therefore, they are used in making aircrafts, naval ships, spacecraft and even missiles!
Titanium is a pretty awesome element isn’t it? Can you believe that we use it in our toothpaste every day? Got any interesting facts about titanium? Share them with us in the comments section below!
If you enjoyed this trivia post, go ahead and check out some of our other posts by clicking on the button below!