1. The Gobi Desert is the largest desert in Asia.
2. The desert spans Southern Mongolia, North and Northwestern China and an area of 500, 000 square miles.
3. For Indians, the word ‘Gobi’ means a cauliflower. For Mongolians, the word means ‘very large and dry’, an apt description for this large, arid desert.
4. All the deserts you know of so far are extremely hot and dry. The Gobi is a cold desert and suffers from temperature extremes which can happen within a short span of 24 hours!
5. Many important fossils have been found in the Gobi Desert. The first dinosaur eggs were found in the Gobi Desert.
6. Unfortunately, the Gobi is getting drier and larger each year, thanks to a process known as desertification.
7. Despite its extreme climate, the Gobi is home to a number of animals, including Bactrian camels, snow leopards, wolves etc.
If you enjoyed this trivia post, go ahead and check out some of our other posts by clicking on the button below!