Holidays, whether expected or unexpected are a godsend. They provide teachers a respite from the rigours of school work and children who though are well-meaning, are sometimes excitable and energetic and always a bit of a handful.
Most teachers plan ahead for what they want to do on their days off. But in case a day off catches you by surprise and you have no idea what to do, here are 5 ways in which you can enjoy your holiday, once you get all your necessary work out of the way.
1. Treat yourself – Especially if your holiday has come after a long and busy period of work. You don’t need to be extravagant in your spending but your treat can be anything from favourite food, new purchases, a leisurely outing etc.
2. Hobby time – Despite your desire to pursue a hobby, being a school teacher means that there is very little time for activities related to your own interests. On a holiday, you can once again pay attention to your hobbies that have fallen by the wayside. If you don’t have a hobby, then do your best to cultivate one so that in when you finally have plenty of free time, you have something concrete to focus on.
3. A long walk or ride – If you want your mind to wander freely, then a long walk or ride is the perfect idea. Fresh air has the benefit of clearing your head and a little exercise leaves you feeling pleasantly re-energized.
4. Meet people – Holidays are always a good time to catch up with your friends, relatives and acquaintances. Looking at new faces is refreshing and so is just talking with someone about things that are completely unrelated to work.
5. Plan a low-key fun outing – On a holiday you can plan to go out for the day, it does not need to be somewhere far away. It can be something as simple as visiting a park, a museum, the zoo etc. The only agenda is to have fun and not worry.
6. Plan ahead – If you are pressed for time the other days, then use a portion of your day off to plan ahead for what you want to do in school, be it lesson plans, project activities, assignments etc. While it will cut into your free time, you needn’t stress about it when you need something for school desperately but don’t have the time to do so.
7. An Extended Nap-time – As you juggle work and home, sleep becomes something of a precious commodity. On a holiday, if all you want to do is sleep, then do so. You have definitely earned the right to sleep the entire day away!