The relationship between a student and a teacher is not an ordinary one.
A teacher doesn’t just teach. A teacher cares, a teacher mentors, a teacher guides. In turn, a student doesn’t only learn, a student finds a kindred spirit, someone to look up to, someone who cares for them. But not all teachers and students experience the same thing. If you feel like you haven’t built lasting relationships with your students, it’s okay. If they have not passed out as yet, then you still have time . Here are 8 ways in which you can build lasting bonds with your students.
1. Show them that you care – As a teacher, even if you do the bare minimum and simply go to the classroom, teach and then get out, you would have fulfilled the requirements of your job. However, you should know that teaching is not your only responsibility. You have a bunch of students to take care of and improve them in all possible ways you can. To make this possible you should maintain a positive relationship with your students and the first step to build a positive relationship with your students is to show your students that you care for them. It motivates them when students realize that their teacher cares for them.
2. Do your best to be a mentor and a guide – You may have a strict lesson plan, bundles of homework to evaluate and lots of classroom work, but above all these responsibilities is the responsibility to mentor your students and guide them. Helping your students with their issues and being there for them when they need support helps you maintain a healthy relationship with your students and helps the students realize that they are not alone.
3. Be kind, but be firm too – To maintain a good relationship with students, what some teachers do is behave in a friendly manner with them and even relax some classroom rules for them. Now being friendly with yoour students is not a bad thing. However, it should not happen at the cost of discipline in the classroom. Be friendly and be firm. Let your students know that while you are prepared to be friendly, rules are rules and you will not relax them unless the circumstances are extentuating. This will make them respect you, simply because you stuck to your ideals.
4. Treat them as you would like to be treated – This is bit hard thing, because there is a huge difference between the thoughts of a teacher and a student. As a teacher you may want yourself to be treated with respect and esteem, but treating your students in the same way may sometimes create problems on disciplinary grounds. The idea behind treating your students as you want to be treated is not to talk or act in a manner that lowers their self-esteem or discourages them. You should treat them with compassion and love; this helps you build positive relationships with your students.
5.Push Them To Do Their Best – As a teacher, you should not only encourage your students to follow their interests/passions but also push them to do their best. Pushing them to do their best, sometimes also means that you should be strict and make them perform their best in their end examinations. Encourage your students to do their best right from the beginning of the school year, even in simple classroom activities. This drives your students to put their best efforts to complete the work assigned to them with perfection. Eventually, this helps your students to complete their school year with much better results.
6. Have Faith & Confidence In Them – Make your students realize that you have faith in them and encourage them, even if they are poor in academics. Students who are poor in academics are usually discouraged by the feeling that no one has faith in them. As a teacher, it is your responsibility to encourage them and show them that you have confidence in them. This helps your students improve not only in academics but also as individuals. There are many students in a classroom who just need a push or a motivation to improve themselves. By being their motivation you can build positive relationship with your students.
7. Be A Good Teacher – Above all other responsibilities, you should be a good teacher to your students. Teach your students effectively by following different teaching patterns. Make your class interesting and motivating. You can be successful as a teacher only when you are good at your primary responsibility- teaching. Being a good teacher helps you connect better with your students and build a positive relationship with them.
How successful have you been in building positive relationships with your students? Do you find the above tips helpful? Do you have more tips to share with us? Please share your suggestions and experiences in the comments section below!