It is never too early to cultivate a love for the environment in children and to encourage them to protect the environment.
Here are 5 ways in which you can make your students more environmentally conscious.
- Practice Recycling
- Start a student-run recycling club, where students actively participate
by collecting trash in separate bins and also learn about recycling and re-using.
- Allow members to create awareness among students and teachers at the school.
- Use posters, morning announcements to do this.
- Assign different projects that use recycled material like outdated newspapers, magazines and drinking containers etc to the students.
- Organize Walk -to-School day
- Introduce the concept of Walk-To-School day.
- Encourage students who live close by to walk to school rather than using motor vehicles like buses and cars for transportation.
- Help them understand the effects of pollution from motor vehicles.
- Schedule environmentally informative field trips
- Take students to environmentally informative trips.
- Take them to a local land fill and show them that even easily decomposable trash like stale food and newspapers take a long time to decompose.
- Take your class on a trip to a local recycling centre. Students can see how plastics and newspapers are recycled and reused.
- Take students to an organic farm where they personally see how vegetables are grown and how animals are raised.
- Reduce use of electricity
- Make students cultivate the habit of turning off electronics that consume lot of energy after their usage.
- The advantages of renewable sources of energy like solar energy, wind energy etc. should be demonstrated to students.
- Make school a litter-free zone
- Make a team of students implement and inspect the ‘litter-free school’ concept in school.
- Reduce wastage and littering by introducing organic composting.
- Encourage students to dispose organic wastes like stale food, paper etc in organic bins so that they can easily decompose.
- The compost can later be used as manure for the school garden.
- Reduce the usage of plastics in school, instead use biodegradable material.
- Reduce the usage of paper in school by using e-mails to send weekly newsletters etc.
- Provide certificates of appreciation to the students of the team.
Have you used any new ways to encourage a love for the environment among your students? Please let us know about your experiences and opinions in the comments section below!