Fictional teachers may not be real but the impact that they can have on us is real. For some, fictional teachers are inspirtational human beings, someone to look up to. For others, fictional teachers are the very reason why they too became teachers. Because they too wanted to be just as awesome as their idols were.
Here are a few of our favourite fictional teachers that would-be teachers can draw inspiration from.
1. Mr. Sahai (Black) – Black is the story of Michelle, a deaf and blind girl who is unable to express herself because of her disabilities. Feeling trapped, she grows into a violent child with no outlet for her emotions. Mr Debraj Sahai is an elderly teacher who trains her and helps her overcome most of her challenges. Though unconventional, his methods finally help Michelle see the light. He may not be like other teachers, but Mr. Sahai definitely teaches you that no matter how hard the going gets, you never abandon your students.
Mr. Debraj Sahai :” The alphabets of the world start with A, B, C, D, E but yours start with B, L, A, C, K… Black.”
2. Professor Minerva McGonagall (Harry Potter Series) – Professor McGonagall, the deputy headmistress of Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry, is a strict disciplinarian and rigorous taskmaster but she also defends those who cannot defend themselves and is a just and fair person. And unexpectedly, when you think she is going to punish you, she rewards you instead. One of the strictest, but coolest teachers in Hogwarts, Harry and gang know that no matter what, they can always count on Professor McGonagall.
Professor Minerva McGonagall : “Nothing! I repeat, nothing gives a student the right to walk about the school at night. Therefore, as punishment for your actions, 50 points will be taken”
3. Miss Honey (Matilda) – At bleak and broken-down Crunchem hall academy, ruled by Agatha Trunchbull, Miss Honey is the only hope for children. Miss Honey is mild and quiet and seldom smiles. However, she is adored by many students, especially Matilda. Miss Trunchbull is known for her harsh punishments and cruelty but Miss Honey is a maternal figure for her students. She appreciates every student for who they are, regardless of what they are.
Matilda: “Why don’t you run away?”
Jennifer Honey: “I’ve often thought about it, but I can’t abandon my children. And if I couldn’t teach, I’d have nothing at all.”
4. Mr. Miyagi(The Karate Kid) – Mr. Miyagi is a kind and responsible person with great wisdom and patience. He rescues young Daniel from five attackers by defeating them alone. Later, when Daniel asks him to teach him Karate, Mr. Miyagi starts his training. Initially, Daniel gets frustrated by the intense level of training, but eventually realizes that the training helped him learn defensive blocks through muscle memory. The training not only helps Daniel learn Karate but also certain important life lessons. Mr. Miyagi also teaches Daniel that having strength is more important than showing it. He also teaches him that being respectful and easy-going is always the best choice.
Mr. Miyagi: “First learn stand, then learn fly. Nature rule, Daniel-san, not mine.”
5. Nikumbh Sir (Taare Zameen Par) –Ram Shankar Nikumbh is an art teacher with a markedly different style of teaching who always encourages his students to dream, imagine and to be creative. Nikumbh joins The New Era Boarding School as a substitute art teacher, temporarily. He realizess that Ishaan Nandakishore Avasthi is lost and very unhappy while all the other students in his class enthusiastically respond to Nikumbh’s way of teaching. Nikumbh tries to find out the reason for Ishaan’s unhappiness and soon discovers that Ishaan is dyslexic. With his patience and compassion, Nikumbh helps Ishaan overcome the disorder.
Ram Shankar Nikumbh : “lf you fancy racing, breed racehorses, dammit, not children.”
6. Grand Master Oogway (Kung Fu Panda) – Grand master Oogway is an elderly tortoise who is highly recognized for his wisdom, knowledge and experience. He selects Po, an obese panda, as the Dragon Warrior. Everyone including Po himself doubts the decision, but Grand Master Oogway strongly stands by his decision and encourages Po and tells him that Po is destined to be the Dragon Warrior. Eventually, when Po rescues the whole village from Tai Lung, a proud muscular snow leopard who believes that he was to be the Dragon Warrior, Grand Master Oogway’s decision proves to be the correct one.
Grand Master Oogway : “One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. “
7. Ms. Frizzle (The Magic School Bus) – Ms. Frizzle is an eccentric third grade teacher who frequently takes her students on rides in her magic school bus to teach them new things. Ms. Frizzle takes her students to adventurous trips and lets them learn many different things by exploring nature. In Ms. Frizzle’s class, children get to learn many things practically. Ms. Frizzle is usually happy and cheerful, even in situations where everyone else is worried or filled with fear.
Ms. Frizzle : “Lets take a closer look ! Bus, do your stuff. “
8. Acharya Raghavendra (Bharat Ka Veer Putra- Maharana Pratap) – Acharya Raghavendra is a strict and dedicated teacher. He has strict rules which cannot be relaxed for anyone, not even the prince. He agrees to train Prince Pratap only on the condition that Pratap attends training at Acharya Raghavendra’s Gurukul, like all his other students. Initially, all the students get frustrated by Acharya Raghavendra’s radically different teaching methodology. But later, they realize that this methodology helped them realize their mistakes and overcome them. Acharya Raghavendra recognizes young Pratap’s zeal to learn new skills and also observes how hard he tries to impress his teacher and teaches him many different skills and life-lessons, which inspire him to become the ruler of Mewar.
Acharya Raghavendra : “Prince Pratap, you receive punsihment for being three minutes late!”
9. Professor Remus Lupin (Harry Potter Series) – Professor Remus Lupin is the Defense Against Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry. Most of his students love his style of teaching and admire him for it. He always tries to help his students overcome their worst fears by bringing out the best in them. Professor Lupin, allows his students to make mistakes again and again but ensures that they learn what is right and is always there to correct them and support them as a mentor and even a surrogate parent.
Remus Lupin: “It is the quality of ones convictions that determines success, not the number of followers. “
Kingsley Shacklebolt: “Who said that?”
Remus Lupin: “Me.”
10. Chanakya (ChandraGupta Maurya) – Chanakya is a professor of Economics and Political Science at the Takshasila University and also the guru of Chandragupta Maurya. He tries to make his students stronger and smarter by occasionally giving them different practical challenges to pass through. He inspires and helps young Chandra Gupta Maurya to rise to power. Even after the establishment of the Mauryan empire, he continues to serve as an advisor to Chandra Gupta Maurya. His way of teaching includes the fact that a teacher should first know the weaknesses and strengths of his students before teaching them.
Chanakya : “Never share your secrets with anybody. If you cannot keep secret with you , do not expect that other will keep it! It will destroy you.”
Did we miss out on someone? Which fictional teacher inspired you the most? Please share your favourite fictional teachers with us in the comment section below!